Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Day 157 - Adamstown, MD

(Click on any photo to enlarge.)

Large brick Victorian
Stup's Market
I was curious as to whether or not there was a town in Adamstown, and today I discovered that there is.  I drove out to Adamstown, in southern Frederick County, in view of Sugarloaf Mountain.  As I entered Adamstown, there was a large microwave component business located at the edge of town, Trans Tech.  Its parking lot was full of cars and trucks.  I drove into town and parked at the Adamstown Community Church.

Old School Building?
The Fire Department
The church faces Mountville, which is the main street through town, but it is at the corner of Adams Street.  I walked down Adams to the fire house, and the street continued around to the department's carnival grounds.  I noticed that both the fire department and the school I passed on the way into town were named Carrollton Manor.  My research told me that Charles Carroll of Annapolis owned a 17,000 acre tract of land which he deeded to his son, Charles Carroll of Carrollton.  Adamstown was built on a small portion of this tract.  This Charles never lived at the manor, but he did build a home on it, Tuscarora, which is another local name used in Frederick, and another location that I will need to explore.
Local library branch?

I backtracked to Mountville, and walked along it to Adamstown Commons, a large new subdivision at the edge of town, then back down the road in the opposite direction to the railroad tracks and the farms beyond them.

In the center of town there was Stup's Market, and a pizza place that was built in the old bank building.  Generally, the homes in the center section of Adamstown are old two story single family homes with large porches.  I can imagine that in the summer, people sit out on those porches to watch what the neighbors are up to.

So, there is a town in Adamstown, and I am happy to report that all seemed well today.  The fire truck got a washing and the train came through on time.

On my way home, I stopped in Urbana, to the branch of the Frederick County Public Library that houses my current photography show, "My Maryland."  I have 22 photos on display in the lower level of the library, most of which I have taken on these daily walks.  If you can, please stop in to see the show.  It is there until the end of April.

******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email me at cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment