Saturday, February 9, 2013

Day 160 - Old National Pike District Park

(Click on any photo to enlarge.)

Lone tree, left side weighted.
Despite the wind and the cold, it really was a beautiful day for a walk.  The sun was strong, the sky was very blue, and thank goodness we did not have the snow that New England is dealing with.  When I started to feel the cold wind whipping my face, I reminded myself that at least I was not having to wade through 30 inches of snow to do my daily photo walk.

The Old National Pike District Park, where I walked today, has far more than meets the eye.  At first glance, it seems to be all ballfields and playgrounds.  However, behind the ballfields and playgrounds there are acres of mowed fields.

Lone tree, right side weighted.
When I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed turkey vultures popping up in the air behind the soccerfields.  Behind the fields, the land drops down into valleys and is quite hilly.  The birds were playing on thermals rising from the ground on this sunny day.  I took a cue from them and headed to where they were wheeling in the air, to see what I could find.

Part of the fields I walked today;
see the lone tree in the distance?
I walked the perimeter of the green and wheat colored fields, skirting the wooded and/or fenced edges.  As I was descending one of the hills, I spied a lone tree in the distance.  I spent a lot of time finding the best angles for getting the tree surrounded by field, and not sky or woods or edges of fields.  I wanted the look of the tree truly alone in the field.

I had a great walk today, alone in a park, with lots and lots of open space.  Check out the park sometime -- you'll be surprised how big it really is.



Different lone tree, with shadow.



 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment