Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day 174 - King William District, San Antonio

(Click any photo to enlarge)

Villa Finale
Villa Finale on wall mural
What a beautiful part of San Antonio I chose for my walk this morning.  The King William District is made up of three separate districts on the National Register of Historic Places, plus one district designated by the city.  It was established by wealthy German merchants in the late 1800's, and has once again become a fashionable neighborhood.

My research told me that this area is comprised of 25 blocks of historic mansions, so I skipped out on the River Walk boat cruise this morning, and chose to come to King William, instead. I found parking near the Guenther House, then walked along King William St, which is also at one of the far ends of the River Walk. 

River Walk
Anchoring one end of the district is the old Pioneer Flour Mill.  The streets of the neighborhood are wide, lined with beautiful trees.  Even though it does not feel like winter here, the trees know that it is, and except for the occasional palms, they are leafless.  Crape Myrtles lined many of the streets, with ground covers like wandering jew and spider plants.  Other plants I saw included lantana, nandina, bougainvilla, and cyclamen. 

This one's for sale -- I want it!
It was very quiet along these streets on this Saturday morning.  I was able to crisscross the streets many times, taking advantage of where the sun was illuminating the houses to their best advantage.  There was quite a mixture of mansion-like homes, many beautifully restored, along with some in need of restoration.  Occasionally there were small bungalow style homes, most with inviting front porches (my style of choice), and even a few mid-century moderns mixed in.

The Liberty House
I could not have chosen a better place for my walk today, and my 45 minute walk only covered a portion of it.  What a treat!  If you are ever in San Antonio, be sure to take a walk in the King William Historic District.






*****************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

2 comments:

  1. The best hotels as well as the best value hotels are all included in out listings. Whether you want to plan a quick and cheap trip to San Antonio or you want to book a Plaza hotel or a fancy resort for your family vacation in San Antonio, this is the website where you’ll find the best hotels. San Antonio Hotels

    ReplyDelete