Friday, February 8, 2013

Day 159 - Mt. Zion Church

(Click on any photo to enlarge.)

Mt. Zion Lutheran
A walk on a country road led me to love, today.  And because it is almost Valentine's day, the timing is perfect.  Tom and I had a brief affair, but one that I will never forget.

My new boyfriend, Tom
I parked my car at Mt. Zion Lutheran Church, along Mt. Phillip Road outside of Frederick.  I had seen a single silo in a field, and when I rounded the curve and saw a country church, I pulled in to park.  Finding parking along narrow country roads is sometimes hard, but if there is a church, it means free parking plus photo opportunities!

Hen Scratching
Solo Silo
The brick church was picturesque on the hillside, surrounded by a graveyard.  Across the street from it was a farmhouse, with additional parking next to the farmhouse.  A rooster kept crowing over at the farmhouse, so I walked over to get pix of the hens scratching freely in the yard.

I walked down the road to the silo and snapped a few shots of it, but on my way back, in the field next to the farmhouse, I spied a turkey with his tail completely displayed and his front wing feathers dragging the ground.  He was beautiful!

Vulture Silhouette
As soon as Tom saw me, he started zigzagging across the field, stopping at the point of each Z to huff.  Occasionally, he would stick his blue head out and gobble.  He continued in this fashion until he was quite close to me.  Of course, I was snapping away with my camera.

I walked on the road, past the front of the house, back to the parking area next to the house, and he followed.  He came right out into the parking lot, so I stood still and switched to video mode to get a video.  I was sure no one would believe me, without proof.  Video

Tom's Closeup
When I got home, I looked up male turkey courting behavior, and sure enough, that is what he was doing.  Perhaps it was my white hair that attracted him.

Tom's heart is broken, because I left him behind today, but hopefully a beautiful pea hen will come his way soon, and I will be quickly forgotten.




 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment