Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Day 178 - North Frederick

(Click any photo to enlarge)

Corner of Market and 12th
I think I'll give blood soon.
Numbered streets are always sort of a mystery to me.  They have plenty of them in places with lots of streets, like Ocean City, MD, and Washington, DC.  Washington also has street names with letters, too, but that's another topic.

Anyway, why is there no First Street in Frederick?  Why does some "other named" street appear between numbered streets?  In Ocean City, it happens all the time.  You're looking for 28th Street on one side of Coastal Highway, but it's Robin Drive on the other side.  So, driving south, you'll pass 32nd Street, but the next time you encounter a numbered street, it is 26th.  It makes you wonder what happened to five of the numbered streets.  In Frederick, going south on North Market, you'll encounter 14th St,  then Frederick Avenue,  and then 13th St.  Was Frederick Avenue there first, and then the numbered streets were added?  Was it formerly an alley between streets?  Was it carved out of extra land after the numbered streets were named?

Same car.  See above.
The lyrics to "Let it Be" were
written in the sidewalk margins
Thoughts like these run through my head while I am doing my daily walks.  I could be thinking about solving world problems, or about what the future holds for me, but instead, I ponder what I am seeing in front of me.  I love speculating about how and why things were done the way they were.

Pine in the Sky
I parked my car near the corner of 14th and Market, then walked west a few blocks along 14th until I came to Motter Avenue.  I walked south along Motter, then east along Frederick.  Then I walked south along Market, and west along 13th.  You get the idea.  I was zigzagging my walk along the numbered streets between Market and Motter.  When I came to 10th and Motter, I walked north along Motter to 14th, then east again to my car.  It was a good walk, with a ton of trip hazards due to trees uprooting the sidewalks, but I kept a sharp eye out, and made out fine.

OK, here's a quiz for you Frederick readers.  There is apparently no First Street, but what is the highest numbered street?  Extra points will be scored if you don't need to refer to a map!



 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment