Saturday, February 16, 2013

Day 167 - The Jug Bridge, Final Leg

(Click on any photo to enlarge it.)

The road condition
I have visited and revisited the former Jug Bridge across the Monocacy River east of Frederick several times now.  I finally completed the last leg of the original road to the bridge, which collapsed in1942.  It was an old stone arch bridge, built in 1804, as part of the National Road.  See my walks on days 145, 141, 81, and 51 for other photos of the three bridges that have crossed the Monocacy River at that location.  (Thank goodness one still does.)

House on Linganore Road
Today I parked at the end of the driveway of an old brick home that is on the corner of Rt. 144 and Linganore Road.  The house is  under contact, and I believe I know something about the new ownership.  I am hoping to get permission to walk the grounds of that beautiful old house someday.  It was built in 1920, according to www.zillow.com, and there is quite a bit of land surrounding the house.  Another day, I hope....

Toll House across the river
Anyway, I walked along Linganore Road, snapping a couple of shots of the house, and then turned left on Dr. Baxter Road.  This was the original road that led to the Jug Bridge.  Once travelers had crossed the Jug Bridge (so named for the stone demijohn positioned at one end of the bridge, shaped like a jug), they paid their toll at the white toll house.  I could see the toll house from across the river today.

The end of the road
The road is clear, despite many fallen trees and logs, until you come to the very end of it.  This, apparently, is where the section of bridge collapsed into the river.  The logs and trees and brush piles that were either pushed into place at the end of the road or left in place after they fell, or some combination thereof, serve well to keep people (and cars) that may venture down that way from getting close to the edge (end) of the road.

Photo Credit:  http://www.route40.net/page.asp?n=23
The picture that I have borrowed from the link above shows the demijohn in place at the start of the bridge.  That is about where I was standing today on the old road.  I did notice a big curve in the road underneath all the fallen trees and brush, which it would have had to take to mate up with the other side.  I am so glad the demijohn is now rebuilt out by the airport, saving it for posterity.

Scallop shell fungi - they were tiny!
I disturbed a number of birds and squirrels today, but other than that, the only sound was that of traffic hurtling by on my left on Rt. 144 and on my right on Rt. 70.  I concentrated my photos on some of the great fungi and lichens growing on the rotting fallen trees.

So now, unless I can get closer to the ends of the ruins of the Jug Bridge, I am going to let that piece of history rest in peace.























 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment