Thursday, January 24, 2013

Day 144 - Downtown on Business

(Click on any photo to enlarge.)
Talley Rec Center
Today I had two appointments in downtown Frederick, so while I was there, I decided to do my walk, as well.  After my morning appointments and a nice lunch at Sumittra with a friend, I returned to the car to suit up.  I changed my shoes, added my hat and scarves, put away my notebooks, put the camera around my neck, put the hood up, and took off.

Snow Family
My goal was to check out the Talley Recreation Center near Baker Park.  I am the chairperson of a committee that will be holding a big art reception for a June event called Easels in Frederick, and I had not yet seen the space.  It is inside an old armory building, with the upper floor consisting of a huge gym with high ceilings and lots of windows.   On the lower floor, there is state of the art exercise equipment, and quite a lot of it. The outside of the building is on the edge of Baker Park, and it looks like a brick castle, complete with ramparts.

Magnolia Drip
Fanciful Espalier
After I checked out the building, I walked for several blocks, carefully picking my way along the sidewalks.  It had snowed about an inch last night, and some residents had cleared their walks, and others had not.  Some had thrown out bagfuls of ice melt.  The shady areas were icy, so I tried to stick to the sunny side of the street wherever I could, which is always good advice, right?

I did not find much inspiration today.  The wind picked up again, so I had my hood up.  It shrouds my face, and that significantly cuts down on both my peripheral vision and my hearing.  I also needed to watch my step constantly, so walking in town was not very satisfactory.  I could not see or hear traffic or other pedestrians very well. 

I did get a few shots on this cold and sunny day, but I'll stick to the rural/natural settings like yesterday for future walks on "bundle up well" days.  Hopefully, we'll be getting a break soon!



Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment