Thursday, January 31, 2013

Day 151 - South Carroll St., Frederick

(Click on any photo to enlarge.)

Antiques in antique places
Old Glory was flapping today!
This weather we've been having in the Mid-Atlantic is crazy!  Yesterday the temps were in the upper 60's and I was watching students in Shepherdstown running along the streets in rain, wearing shorts and flipflops.  Today the wind has been whipping everything in sight, and occasionally snow flurries so fierce you'd think you were in a blizzard blow through, with the sun shining the entire time.  It was in these cold and windy conditions today that I set out for a walk along South Carroll Street.

Blowing Burlap
Water Tower
I had business at the Visitor's Center in Frederick, which is located in a beautifully restored building, full of gorgeous displays.  It was a treat to look at the display about the Jug Bridge, seeing a depiction of the bridge in the early 1900's.  If you have been following my walks, you know the Jug Bridge has been the topic of at least two recent walks.

South Carroll Street has a number of old buildings that were built in an early industrial era of Frederick.  For example, the Delaplaine Visual Arts Center is in an old mill building.  Other old buildings, some of which are converted to antiques businesses, have remnants of pulley systems and old machinery projections jutting out from the brick or stone exteriors.

Old School??
I walked along South Carroll until an old building at the foot of Urner Street caught my eye.  It looked like a small chapel or old schoolhouse.  It was on the edge of Harmon Field, a ball field and playground.  Continuing along Winchester, I arrived at the campus of the Maryland School for the Deaf. 
Crazy Conduits!

My walk was quicker than usual today, probably from being propelled along the sidewalks by the wind.  From mild temps to flooding rains to gusty winds to blowing snow to sunny blue skies, we've had it all in the last 48 hours.



 Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment