Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 180 - Downtown Frederick

(Click any photo to enlarge)

Wall Art by William Cochran
Copper Mailbox
Today was a downtown day for me.  I had to visit a couple of local businesses to ask for some donations for the big Easels in Frederick event coming up in June.  Then I picked up some jackets I had embroidered with "Cam's Camera Shots."  Next I bought some hiking boots at Trail's End to prepare for my trip to Death Valley (I leave on Sunday).  Then I met a friend at 1:00 at the Frederick Arts Council to see what items they have that we can use for decorating the Easels in Frederick reception.  I walked between 1:30 and 2:30, and at 3:00 I had a meeting with the food and beverage committee.  Oh, did I ever tell you that I am retired?  Hah!

Raising Awareness
Anyway, during my walk, I wore my new hiking boots to break them in (they are very comfy, though), and it snowed a few times.  I walked all over downtown, stopping to talk to a couple of teens who were holding signs on the street corner.  They told me it was "Self-Harm Awareness Day," and the first letters of the words on the posters spelled "HOPE."  

Biggest home on Rockwell
Then I walked along Rockwell Terrace.  At the corner of Bentz Street and Rockwell, there is a plaque in the sidewalk on each side of the street, indicating "Rockwell Terrace 1905," which led me to believe that this section of town must have been a "planned community," similar to Braddock Heights.  Indeed, my research proves that to be true, the land having been set aside for residences only.  A curious statement in the link I have provided also says, "No intoxicants of any kind are allowed ever to be sold or in any wise traded in," a stipulation written into the deeds of purchasers.  

Another home on Rockwell Terrace
Rockwell Terrace has beautiful homes, all two story, with brick or siding, most with front porches and bay windows.  Garages are separate structures at the rear of the property, accessed by an alley.  There do not appear to be any two alike.  The street is anchored in the middle of the block by a home of mansion sized proportions, with huge columns. 

As I was walking the streets of Frederick today, I saw at least four people I knew by first name.  My adopted city is feeling more and more like a small town; it feels like a place I was meant to be.


 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment