Saturday, March 16, 2013

Day 195 - Old New Market Road

(Click any photo to enlarge.)
New Market UM Church
Blue Cedar Berries
Old New Market Road is the shortcut that many locals use to avoid the light at the intersection of Routes 144 and 75.  It begins near the eastern end of New Market, and curves northeasterly to Rt. 75.  There is not much in the way of shoulders there to walk on, but new development along the road has provided some flat grassy tracts, so I took advantage of those wherever possible.

Hanging on by a root
I parked at the historic New Market United Methodist Church, where some of the old graves in the yard are right up against the edge of the road.  On my walk, I encountered mockingbirds, bluebirds, and Canadian geese.  The turkey vultures that usually inhabit one of the trees on this road were roosting elsewhere this afternoon.

Unexcited cows
It never ceases to amaze me how much litter I see on our roads.  One does not really notice it when driving by at higher speeds, but it sure becomes apparent how much there is when you walk the road.  I often think I should bring along a garbage bag, but all the bending over and lugging of a full bag would negate the purpose of walking for exercise.  Perhaps I will tuck a bag into my pocket on future walks just to pick up the most obvious litter.  I also wonder how much drinking while driving is going on; evidently, quite a bit, due to the amount of liquor and beer bottles and cans I see.

Another old car!
From a distance,
I had to look twice.
At the end of the road, before I turned around, there was a field full of hundreds of starlings.  Suddenly, in true starling fashion, they all took off at once, formed a ball in the sky, and swooped and swarmed over the fields and trees, knowing when to turn in unison in ways that we can only speculate about.  This harmonious swooping and swarming together like a well choreographed dance in the sky is called a murmuration.  I have linked that word to a good description of it, with video, and some possible scientific explanation for the phenomenon.

It was good to get the walk done before the predicted rain begins, and I am pleased to have had the opportunity to introduce many of you to a new vocabulary word.



 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment