Friday, March 15, 2013

Day 194 - Myersville

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

The Waters Collection
Myersville is a small town off busy Rt. 70, located about halfway between Frederick and Hagerstown.  It gained some notoriety in 2002 when the DC snipers were arrested at a rest stop along Rt. 70 nearby.  Recently, it was in the news when a tragic fire claimed the lives of two young girls.

Old Trolley Station Sign
Today I drove to Myersville to walk through the town.  At the exit off Rt. 70, there is a McDonald's and a Burger King, but farther along Main Street, homes line the road on both sides.  Many are brick; some are early 1900's style.  The town has at least three churches, a bank, a diner, a chocolate company, a market, a woodworking store, and an insurance agency among its businesses.  It has an impressive looking town hall across the street from the old school, which appears to have been turned into apartments.  The trolley was an important part of the early history of Myersville, and the old trolley station is still there, converted to other uses.  

Former High School
Come Fly With Me!
I parked at the farthest end of town away from Rt. 70, and walked back along the road to the McDonalds before making my return. At that end of town, there was a fascinating property, the painted red brick home of Mr. Waters.  He has quite a collection of oddities in his yard and mounted to the outside walls of his outbuildings, but he also has several old automobiles, all in great shape, parked on the property.  I was anxious to walk on the property and take pictures, so I did something I had never done before.  I knocked on his door.  No one answered.
I love hood ornaments!

Mr. Waters had a huge
bush of this in bloom.
I asked a neighbor across the street if he thought it would be OK if I took pictures, and he said he thought Mr. Waters would be flattered.  So, that's what I did.

Small towns sometimes have some surprises in store for explorers like me, and Myersville today was no exception.








 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

1 comment:

  1. Cam I am enjoying your posts and nice photos. You met my friend Judy at the airport. She suggested on her Facebook account for friends to try your blogspot. I am happy that I discovered you and your special project.
    Darlene Kranz

    ReplyDelete