Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 200 - Centreville, MD

(Click any photo to enlarge.)
Beautiful Victorian
I intended to take another walk down memory lane today, in recognition of my 200th day in a row of photo walking, but Mother Nature decided to blow a blizzard (actually, it was probably only a brief snowstorm, but it felt and looked like a blizzard) at the very moment that I was picking out a parking spot in Salisbury, Maryland.  I wanted to walk from the house my husband and I rented as newlyweds, along Camden Avenue to Salisbury University and back, which is where we met and where I finished my senior year as a young bride.

However, I did not relish snow blowing in my face and fighting the wind, so I headed west on Rt. 50 toward home, driving through occasional flurries, until I reached Centreville, the county seat of Queen Anne's.  It has been on my list of places since I began this endeavor, so today was as good a day as any to walk there.  Luckily, the snow and wind had passed, and the sun was even beginning to emerge at the end.
The bank -- still in use as a bank

Centreville, according to the history on its town's website, was so named because the county seat was moved from Queenstown to a more central location within the county.  Its spelling came from post-Revolutionary admiration for the French.  However, I think it is really called Centreville because the main aspects of are located virtually in the center of the two one-way roads that define it, Liberty and Commerce.  As you drive north on Rt. 213, the road splits at Centreville, becoming one-way along Commerce Street.  You pass by homes and lawyers' offices and the courthouse on your left, and at the end of town, you are back on the two-way highway again.  Driving south on 213, now one-way Liberty Street, the parking garage and the historic courthouse and St. Paul's Episcopal Church are on your left, all nestled between the two one-way streets.

Old Armory
I parked my car at the lower part of town on Commerce Street and walked uphill.  On my left was the old National Guard Armory, soon to be renovated into a school.

Wright's Chance
Continuing on, I discovered the library, notable historic homes (Tucker and Wright's Chance), and soon I arrived at the center of town, featuring the historic courthouse, built between 1792 and 1794.  It is the oldest courthouse still in continuous use in the U.S.  I went in to see if I could look around, and was told no, court was in session.  So, I know it is true!

Queen Anne and her courthouse
Across from the courthouse I had lunch at the Creamery, which was painted a sunny yellow and chartreuse green.  Surprisingly, there are only a few restaurants in the downtown area.  I'm sure they do a good lunch trade with the courthouse traffic, and there were other professional services, but I didn't find any gift shops, antique shops, or book stores, similar to what I have seen in other historic towns.

The Tiffany Windows
After I turned around on Academy Lane and headed back south on the opposite side of town along Liberty Street, I arrived at St. Paul's Episcopal Church.  It was clearly so inviting and historic, and the sign out front said that it had seven Tiffany windows.  Curious, I tried the door, and it was open!  I went inside the dark interior.  What a beautiful church.  The stained glass windows were magnificent.  The seven Tiffanies were in the chancel area, and a sign warned not to go near, or an alarm would sound; I obeyed the sign.
Stained Glass at St. Paul's
 

I thoroughly enjoyed my walk in Centreville today.  I will return to Salisbury for a walk along Camden avenue in warmer weather, because it is such a beautiful street when the gardens are in bloom.

Organ pipes
Day 200 is in the books, with 14,383 page views, not counting the ones that are generated by the blog counter on the Frederick News Post site, where I am a community blogger.  They don't register on the Google site, where I have my blog housed, but they get plenty of hits a day, as well. 

I love this job!!!


























 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

2 comments:

  1. Hello, just wondering what kind of camera do you use for your daily walk now? I remember you mentioned your trusted Nikon was damage on the trip to the Death valley. Anyhow, the pics are sharp and nice as usual.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear th,

      Thanks for being such a loyal reader! I truly appreciate it. Knowing that others are out there following along helps me get out every day, especially on cold, windy days like today!

      I ordered a replacement for my old Nikon. Instead of the Coolpix P7100 I got the P7700. It has a few differences, which I am getting used to. It still takes great photos. I went with the upgrade because I thought that Nikon may pay more attention to my tweets if I was using their latest model. So far, though, they continue to ignore me. Maybe after day 300 they will realize I am serious. I tweet to them about once a week.

      Today's walk isn't much. But, every day can't be spectacular. Look for it later this afternoon.

      Cam

      Delete