Saturday, March 2, 2013

Day 181 - Halfway Point in Mount Vernon

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

Paparazzi?
Mount Vernon
Even though tomorrow is technically the halfway point of my year of photo walking, I chose to celebrate it today, because tomorrow I will be flying to Las Vegas, and it may end up being an airport walk again.  I did not want to take any chances, so I planned a nice walk in advance.

I advertised the fact that I wanted to go to Mount Vernon, home of George Washington, today, and three friends took me up on the offer.  I met Jerry, Manuel, and Norma at Mount Vernon this morning at 10 a.m.  The day was cold, gray, spitting a little snow, and breezy.  We bundled up in winter gear and went to the admissions office to buy our tickets.
President's Tomb

Old Tomb's Handle
We took the mansion tour first, and after that we walked the grounds, including the lawn down to the Potomac River, the old tomb, the newer tomb, the barns and animal areas, and finally the gardens.

We found the museum and walked almost all of it, but near the end there was a film.  We sat down for the video, and that's when we all realized at once how tired we were.  Those theater seats felt so good!  The movie was great, about George Washington's role in the Revolutionary War.  During the show, as George was crossing the Delaware, snow fell from the theater ceiling in a very realistic snowstorm.  It was a great effect.

Laundry Room
Wavy Window
We parted for the day at the gift shop, all tired and ready for the drive home.  On the way, I kept thinking about all I had learned about this great man.  The time-saving conveniences we have for daily living and for communication and transportation did not exist then.  Yet men like George Washington accomplished so much, and their legacies have lasted for generations.  Our first president was truly remarkable, and it was a pleasure to visit his home today and learn more about him.

Tool Display
Thanks to Jerry and Manuel and Norma for going with me today.  But most of all, thank you to everyone who reads this blog -- it is you who have kept me going every day for half a year.  If it weren't for the fact that I know that there are people who would feel I had let them down if I skipped a day, I probably would have done so by now, especially on cold, rainy days like we have had this past week.  I am still loving my daily photo walks, and I plan to keep on going strong until September 2, 2013. 

Next walking site?  Somewhere in Death Valley, California!

























 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment