Friday, March 8, 2013

Day 187 - Zabriskie Point Sunrise

(Click any photo to enlarge.)

Looking East into Sunrise
This would NOT be me...
Luckily, before the steady rain started, we went to Zabriskie Point for a sunrise shoot.  Although the walk is not long there, it is all uphill, and I felt the effects of it when I got to the top, after the miles of walking I have done here on my trip to Death Valley.  One would have thought I'd be a little more fit, but walking uphill is definitely different from walking flat land, which is usually my choice.

Photographers below me.
The rain approaches from the west
The weather forecast called for rain today, and a big storm is dropping lots of rain and even snow on Southern California.  However, it rarely rains here in Death Valley, but I guess it forgot to consult the Weather Channel this morning.  The 2.36" of rain that this area usually gets per year is coming down in inches, right now.

Just before sunrise
On my walk up the hill, we could see the gathering clouds filling the sky.  There was little wind, compared to the past few days, but the fog and mist were definitely rolling in across the peaks from the west.  It made for some great misty/foggy/layered kinds of looks in my photos.

Rain settling into the mountains
Based on my experience yesterday of the malfunctioning of my little camera, I have decided to amend one of my walking rules.  Rule number 4 will now read:  "Use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps."  You can see my other rules by scrolling down.  Frankly, any camera will do, from a phone camera to a full frame DSLR.  It is the walking and the taking of the photos in combination that are important.  I just happened to have my Nikon P7100, and photo walking gave me a good reason to force myself to learn to use it, and the more I got to know it, the more I fell in love with it.  There is an analogy to dating somewhere in there, but I will let you figure that out for yourselves.


 ****************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps.
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment