Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Day 191 - A Walk in the Rain

(Click any photo to enlarge.)
I apologize to any earthworms I may have stepped on today.  They were out in force on the wet pavement, gasping for air in an attempt to keep from drowning in the soil.  I did my best to avoid them.  The rocky soil here in my neighborhood needs all the help it can get from these garden friends.

The rain started during the night, and I waited until I could no longer hear it pounding on the roof before deciding when and where to walk today.  When I looked outside, it was still coming down steadily, but not pounding, so I decided there was no point in putting it off. 

My biggest dilemma was over what camera to take.  Steady rain and walking with a big DSLR on your chest is not good for either the walk or the DSLR, despite rain sleeves made for such occasions.  Using a camera phone to take photos in steady rain is really only good for the first shot.  After your fingers are wet and the screen is wet, all touch sensitivity is pretty much gone.  My new Nikon P7700 has not arrived yet (please, Mr. Brown, bring it today!), but suddenly I remembered the tiny little Canon PowerShot A2200 that my mother traded with me for my pocket Nikon Coolpix.  She got the Canon a year ago for Christmas, but the buttons were too small for her to see easily, so we traded.  I dug it out of the drawer.  It still had some battery power, and it is small enough to fit in the palm of my hand.  So, I pocketed the little thing and took off in my neighborhood.

One good reason for walking in the neighborhood in pouring rain is that when you get home, you can strip everything off and throw it in the dryer.  If you drove somewhere to walk, you will have to either strip off when you get into the car, or realize that you are going to soak the seats when you get in.  If you parked in a parking garage, that is a good compromise. 

I live in a neighborhood that is still under construction, so that means my walking area is constantly expanding.  I walked the perimeter of it all today, which took about 35 minutes.  The only other person I actually saw was a man who brought his dogs out onto the stoop of his house.  They were on leashes, but able to entangle themselves in his front shrubbery.  I heard him admonishing the dogs to "Go now!  Go now!"  I don't know if they obeyed.

I am drinking a warm cup of tea and listening to the rain gear clink around in the dryer.  Later this afternoon I have to take photos at the grand opening of the newest branch office of Maryland Sportscare and Rehab, where my daughter is the director of the clinic.  There.  I made a shameless plug.  If you need physical therapy, go to see Erin in the Westview Shopping Center, next to Plato's Closet. 

Keep dry today!




 ******************

Visit my photography show, "My Maryland," at the public library in Urbana, Maryland, on the lower level of the building.  It is there until the end of April.


Hurricane Sandy Relief: Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross. Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address. The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient. Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter: @camscamerashots
Email:  cam.miller@comcast.net

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use whatever camera is easy and convenient for walking comfortably; always have a backup camera at the ready in case of mishaps
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment