Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day 67 - Boonsboro, MD

Banner
Because my calendar was not full of obligations today, I headed west to Boonsboro, MD.  It was about a 45 minute drive from my house, and it is been on my list of places to visit.


Lantern
Boonsboro is at the base of South Mountain, near Gathland State Park, the site of a previous walk.  I also passed through it on my way to Sharpsburg for another photo walk.  These trips around the area give me more and more ideas of where I can go to do my walks.


I parked at one end of town at Shafer Park, then walked Main Street from one end to the other.  Because I like to walk for at least an hour when I travel some distance to get there, I started going down side streets, walking around the cemeteries, and then ending up back in the center of town.

Self Portrait
Angel
Boonsboro was settled in 1792 by two cousins of Daniel Boone, George and William.  It has the traditional structure of stone and brick homes built side by side, often touching each other or sharing a wall, with little or no front yards along Main Street.  The Old National Road goes right through it, now known as Alternate 40.

The website for Boonsboro boasts that its location offers tourists plenty of things to see and do in the area, ranging from hiking the Appalachian Trail to visiting state parks to touring Civil War battlefields.
Wavy Window
Yellow Palm
I love it when I am walking in a historic town and come across something totally unexpected.  In Westminster, it was a phone booth.  In Boonsboro, it was a bright yellow palm tree.  The palm was outside an ice cream shop, The Potomac Street Creamery, so I bought some ice cream while chatting with the young server about photography and local history.

Inn Boonsboro
Boonsboro's local celebrity is the author Nora Roberts.  She and her husband own the Inn Boonsboro.  It is a nice destination getaway for those who love local history and are not looking for night life.

It was a great day for a walk, and the town of Boonsboro turned out to be a good choice.

Hurricane Sandy Relief:  Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross.  Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address.  The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient.  Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment