Saturday, November 10, 2012

Day 69 - The Frederick Municipal Airport

Fly With Me
I pass the Frederick Airport almost daily, and because of an accident ahead on the road today, I got diverted onto a road that took me right past the entrance to the airport.  I took that as a sign that that's where I should do my walk today.

The walking area there is large.  There are lots of air transportation companies located in buildings nearby, with large parking lots and acreage.  I parked near the terminal building, then started walking in a large circle around properties related to the airport, ending my walk back at the terminal.

The airport is small, but it is a very busy place!  At least a dozen airplanes took off or landed during my 30 minute walk, as well as five or six helicopters.  One helicopter must have been piloted by a student and an instructor, because it flew in large circles close to the ground the entire time I was there.  There is a flight school located at the airport.
Incoming Chopper

The terminal building is small, but there is a restaurant/cafe inside, and it looked like it was doing a steady business this morning from folks who drove there for breakfast.  My daughter has taken my grandson there for breakfast as a special treat, because while they were eating they got to watch planes taking off and landing.

Also known as FDK
The Frederick Municipal Airport is also known as the "most female-friendly" airport in the U.S., according to the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association, which is based in Frederick.

After I finished my walk at the airport, I headed to the Delaplaine Visual Arts Center where I taught a digital photography class for kids.  We had a great time, and they really developed their photographic eyes!


Hurricane Sandy Relief:  Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross.  Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address.  The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient.  Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment