Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 87 - Mayne's Tree Farm

Frosty Fraser Firs
Losing sunglasses is a downfall of taking daily photo walks, at least for me.  I need to take them off to see the LCD panel on my point-and-shoot or to put my eye up to the viewfinder on my DSLR.  So, after losing three prescription pairs since July, I went to Lenscrafters today to buy two new pairs, along with cords to keep them around my neck.

TaDa!  The perfect
Christmas tree!
While waiting for the glasses to be made, I drove to Buckeystown to visit another tree farm.  This time it was Mayne's, which is just on the outside edge of town.  I was greeted by a man in overalls who gave me permission to walk all over the property.  I told him I was doing a photo walk, and that this was my third tree farm in four days.  He gave me free rein to go wherever I wanted.

Sugarloaf Mountain
This farm is on sloping land, not quite as hilly as Clemsonville or Gavers, but the trees are in clearly discernible sections.  As I walked along the gravel road, I could see that there were fallow fields, fields with tree seedlings, fields with corn, and a huge field with leftover pumpkins.  And, of course, there were fields and fields with beautiful trees, well tended and clean between the rows.  In many places, there was evidence of recently cut trees, with stumps oozing sap.
November fields

I was the only one at the farm today, so I walked to the rear as far as I could go, until I found a stream and a fence and some cows grazing on the other side.  I followed the stream until I came to another fence, and then followed it back toward the road.  When I got to the crest of a hill, I was surprised to see that I nowhere near the farmhouse and barn.  The place is much bigger than meets the eye when seeing it from the parking area.

Willows on the pond.
I continued through the fields to the farmhouse, then walked around the front of it where I found a pond, probably spring fed.  There were some stone ruins of what I would guess was a springhouse.  Willows graced one end of the pond, and four white geese were on the grass nearby.  They raised the alarm the closer I got, so I kept my distance.

Four geese-a-honking.
I walked back up to the barn area, where they sell wreaths and tree stands and fresh apple cider.

As I was leaving, Mr. Mayne himself came out to talk to me.  He told me that the place really is packed with people on the weekends.  They do not allow cars to drive on the lanes on the weekends because of all the people and kids, but they offer hayrides out to the tree cutting areas.  Mr. Mayne said that they had a great pumpkin crop this year, and that they offer produce at the farmer's market in spring and summer.
Buckeystown seen
over young trees.

Mr. Mayne asked me about the other farms I visited, and if I had any suggestions or comparisons.  I told him that Clemsonville could best be described as the "old fashioned" Christmas tree experience and that Gavers is for entertaining the kids as well as getting a tree.  He very much agreed with me.  All of them have a different flair.  Mayne's is a beaufiul farm in a beautiful location, and it certainly had beautiful trees.  All of them have friendly people who just want us to enjoy the fresh cut Christmas tree experience.





Hurricane Sandy Relief:  Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross.  Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address.  The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient.  Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter:  @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment