Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 88 - Hyattstown


Milton Ridge Chapel
Hyattstown is south of New Market and Urbana, just over the Montgomery County Line.  It is a small, unincorporated town that hugs both sides of Rt. 355.  Founded in 1798, the 19th century buildings that line the road are relatively unchanged.

The Davis House is being restored.
I parked at one end of town, at a modern day shopping center with such amenities as a Dunkin' Donuts and a used bookstore.  Walking south into the town, I came first upon what was clearly an old church, now known as Milton Ridge, a wedding and reception site.  I would never have guessed it; it was only by reading the sign that I was clued in.

The inner glow


I crossed the road to find a sidewalk, and there was another church, the Hyattstown M.E. Church, 1856, now the Hyattstown United Methodist Church.  I continued down the road, being careful to stay on the sidewalk, because the traffic that was constantly streaming up and down the road was clearly on a mission.  Rt. 355 is the "old road" that parallels one of Maryland's busiest roads, Interstate 270.  Many commuters use Rt. 355 to avoid the traffic jams that regularly occur on 270.  Plus, it is a more scenic route than the Interstate.  But it does make for a heavy volume of traffic that flows through little Hyattstown on a daily basis.

Hyattstown United Methodist
I walked from one end of town to the other, crossing over the road in the middle of town to catch the sidewalk that was only on one side of the road, and I ended up at the fire hall.  There I noticed a sign for the Little Bennett Regional Park, so I walked along the road until I found the old grist mill that was built in 1783.  Sometime in the spring, or when I have a companion to walk with me, I will revisit that park and walk along some of its many trails.
Hyattstown Mill

Wavy glass!
It was a beautiful day again, with clear blue skies, and I enjoyed exploring little Hyattstown.









Hurricane Sandy Relief:  Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross.  Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address.  The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient.  Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter:  @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment