Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 74 - Dinner time at Thomas Farm


Red barn at Thomas Farm
Where did my day go?  I had been working on making photo prints and finalizing the "Travel the Gravel" photo contest entries, running errands to get supplies for the displays I need to make, when suddenly it was 4:00, and I realized sunset would be in less than an hour.  Yikes!

Waving to the sky
After leaving the framers, I headed over to Thomas Farm, part of the Monocacy National Battlefield.  There is a beautiful old brick home that is off limits to walkers while it is being renovated for use by the National Park Service, but its grounds with a big red barn and open fields are perfect for exploring.

Dinner call brought them
running; except baby had to
be coaxed.
I was walking down the gravel road to the rear of the farm when a truck pulling a cattle trailer came from behind me.  The driver walked into the fenced field adjacent to the brick home and started yelling "Hey!  Hey!" Or, on second thought, maybe it was "Hay!  Hay!" for he was clearly calling the cows in for their evening meal.

About 30 seconds later, they came ambling up next to the fence and disappeared from my view, moving to the front of the barn buildings.  The driver came back into the field and walked some distance into it, and then a mother and her calf reluctantly came to dinner, as well.  The cow kept looking back to make sure her calf was following.

I continued my walk along the cornfields and fallow fields, until I felt it was smart to turn around before the sky darkened much more.

Layers of color and beauty



I'm glad I got to see dinner time at the farm.  My procrastination paid off!









Hurricane Sandy Relief:  Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross.  Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address.  The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient.  Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com
Follow me on Twitter:  @camscamerashots

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment