Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day 72 - Oakland, MD


Garrett County Courthouse
Maryland has a great scenic roads program, and one of the things I have always wanted to do was to travel the scenic road from the easternmost point in Ocean City to the westernmost point in Oakland, MD.  Although I have never driven the road in one trip from end to end, I have covered all parts of that route now, with my trip today to Oakland, MD.

I was on day two of my road trip, and this morning my friend Norma and I woke to a snow dusted car at Wisp Resort near Deep Creek Lake.  After breakfast, we headed for Oakland.
Shave and a haircut -- two bits!

Oakland is a fairly sizable town, and it is the county seat of Garrett County.  It has several streets that comprise the downtown area, as opposed to one main street like the smaller towns.  There are brick buildings downtown several stories high, a number of old churches, and a large, imposing courthouse that sits high above the town.

Next stop -- Oakland!
We parked near the train depot and walked to the courthouse, then worked our way around several of the streets and ended our walk with pictures of the train depot.  The museums and a some of the shops and cafes were closed on a Wednesday morning.

This window sees all.
The sky cleared as we walked, and although it was quite cold, we were warmed up by the end of the walk.  I hope to get back to Oakland some day, because there was a lot more territory to cover, and the mountainous drive to get there is beautiful, just as the Scenic Maryland road signs promised.






Hurricane Sandy Relief:  Donate to the Red Cross, and I will mail you a 5 x 7 print from any of the photos I have posted on my blog OR any photo on my website.

Forward to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross.  Tell me whether the photo is from the blog or the website, and Include its title along with a mailing address.  The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient.  Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.


Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment