Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Day 31 - Old National Pike District Park


It was very foggy this morning, and I jumped in the car at 6:30 a.m. to go to a location I had previously scouted out for fog photos.  However, I did not make this place serve as my daily photo walk.  Why?

Because I did not use my Nikon P7100 today, the walk I took this morning did not count.  I'm sticking by my rules.  Also, I prefer to shoot fog in black & white.  With my Nikon D300, I can set the camera to shoot b&w and set the image quality to RAW.  When I take the photo, I see it on the LCD panel as black and white.  When I dump it into the computer, it is in color.  In the field, I can review to see if I like what is happening in b&w, but I still have the option later on to process the photo in color.  I get the best of both worlds, which I don't get on the Nikon P7100.  Secondly, I can change out my lenses for greater control on my D300.  Third, it is easier to focus manually on the D300.  Fourth, I get greater depth of field control with my D300.  And last, I am still in the mode of thinking that if I am taking a photo that has the potential for fine art, I need to be using my D300.  However, my P7100 surprises me every day, and perhaps a photo that I take for one of these walks will end up on my wall as a piece of art.  Who knows?

This afternoon I went to the Old National Pike District Park.  The Old National Pike is what parts of Routes 40, 144, and 40-Alt are called in Maryland.  It ran from Baltimore to Cumberland, in Maryland, and then beyond.  Here is some history of the National Road:  history

Old National Pike mile marker.



Every mile between Baltimore and Cumberland there were carved milestones.  The one at the park I walked in today has "35 M to B" carved on its face, meaning it was 35 miles to Baltimore.  There are only a few of the original stones left in their original locations along the road, and several of them are in Frederick County.

The burning bushes were glorious!



The park is preparing for a big fall festival in a couple of weeks.  The playgrounds and soccer fields were empty today, but I got in a good walk along the paved pathways.

Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:

  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment