Sunday, October 21, 2012

Day 49 - Cumberland, MD


The wheels on my Toyota Rav 4 have finally stopped turning.  They deserve a rest.  I took my SUV from the center of Maryland to the farthest east point in Ocean City a few days ago, I returned home from the Eastern Shore last night, and then today I drove to Cumberland, Maryland, almost to its western edge.  It's tired, and so am I!

I was in Cumberland today because my camera club took a field trip to the Lonaconing Silk Mill near there.  It is the last surviving silk mill in the country that has not been renovated for other uses or torn down.  We spent several hours in there photographing (check my FB site, G+, and my website later on -- not tonight! -- for shots from the silk mill).

Bridge Detail
We drove back near Cumberland for lunch when we were done at the mill, but Peter Foiles and June Jarkey opted to continue on to the historic district of Cumberland to go with me on my photo walk.

George Washington slept here.
Cumberland is another of those mountainous train towns.  It has a sizable downtown area, capitalizing on tourism.  And this weekend, the leaves in Cumberland were just past their peak.  The day was beautiful, with  gray and white clouds sometimes covering the sun.

Peter, me, and June
We walked to the train depot first, then across the Potomac River to see the log cabin that served as George Washington's headquarters during the French and Indian War.  In a previous blog post, I mentioned the National Road -- Cumberland was where construction began on the road in 1811.

You can take a ride on the steam powered train from Cumberland to Frostburg and back.  We happened to be at the station when the train pulled in.

We had ice cream at the Queen City Creamery, where we sat at an old fashioned 1940's soda fountain.  On the way home we stopped at Sideling Hill to take some more fall pix, and now I am ready for a rest!






Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment