Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My Fundraising Effort for the Red Cross

Social media has played a huge roll in the coverage of information about Hurricane Sandy.  It is amazing how quickly photos are posted and shared, advice is given and taken, and reassurances that family and friends are safe are met with relief and many "likes."  I watched the news coverage tonight of the damage in New York, and I was humbled to realize that my little photo walks are still important enough to some people that they actually clicked on the link today, taking time away from their own lives and worries, to see what I was up to.

As of this writing, in just 57 days, I have had 2700 page views.  I want to harness the role of social media, and have my daily photo walks benefit others.    I am working on getting a "donate now" button for the Red Cross added to my blog.  Anyone who forwards to me via email a receipt for donating to the Red Cross will be mailed a 5x7 print of his/her choice from any of the photos I have posted.  Just include the day of the walk and a description of the photo, along with a mailing address.  The name on the receipt to the Red Cross must match the name of the mailing recipient.  Send the receipt and the photo request to camscamerashots@gmail.com.

For example, a forwarded receipt may contain a message that looks like this:

"Please mail the picture of the white building with the cannon and the stormy sky from Day 6 - Best Farm to Davy Jones, 1234 Neptune Lane, Anywhere, MD  22991."

In the meantime, until I get a donation button set up, you can visit the Red Cross's donation site to get started.

Henceforth, I will be giving my photos titles, so that they will be easier to identify when requesting a print.

Thank you for supporting me in this effort.  I will be even more motivated to complete my photo walks, knowing that they are helping to bring relief to those who have lost so much in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.


No comments:

Post a Comment