Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 45 - Berlin, Maryland


I am in one of my favorite towns, Berlin, MD.  It is about 8 miles west of Ocean City.  For 36 years I worked for the Worcester County Board of Education, spending most of those years at schools in Berlin.  When my house in New Market was under construction, I had to live somewhere for 8 months, so I chose Berlin, which was a great decision.  I lived on Main Street and could walk everywhere.  I made new friends, was still able to visit school quite often, and really began to hone my photography skills.


This table in front of the Atlantic
Hotel attracts diners.
 
I try to visit Berlin whenever I can, but usually I choose the "off season."  During the summer, trips to the Shore can be very frustrating, with tons of traffic and long backups at the Bay Bridge.  Plus, you pay season rates to stay in the local hotels.  The fall is the best time to visit, in my opinion, and I am in an ocean front room typing this, for less than half of what I would pay in July.




This is one HUGE magnolia.
 

I parked in Berlin, and then determined to do my walk uninterrupted.  I just put on the camera and took off.  I power walked past all the places I wanted to stop in and visit, knowing that if I stopped once, except to take a photo, I would never get the walking part done today.

Berlin is a great town, with a very active main street that knows how to attract tourists.  There are a number of restaurants, several newly opened.  There are art galleries and gift shops and jewelers and antique shops and banks.  It is the town where both Runaway Bride and Tuck Everlasting were filmed.  The first Friday of every month is the arts walk, always a fun time in town.  There are numerous festivals and parades held on Main Street throughout the year.


My friends Donna and
Steve put this up every
Halloween.
After my walk, I had lunch in one of the new restaurants.  Then went to Bungalow Love to deliver coaster tiles that I had made with scenes of Berlin, I went to the Berlin Coffee House to visit with Peggy and Jason, and then I stopped in to see Patrick Henry in his art studio.

I could go on and on about Berlin.  I'll save some information about for a future visit.
















Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment