Saturday, October 13, 2012

Day 41 - WWPW in Sharpsburg


Today was the day of Scott Kelby's World Wide Photo Walk.  Over 1300 walks were taking place, and the one I chose to participate in was Sharpsburg, Maryland, the site of the battle of Antietam.  Why Sharpsburg?  The Paris walk was full....

I had never been to Sharpsburg, at least not in my memory, but I am sure that my father must have dragged the family there when I was too small to either remember it or to appreciate it.  I do remember, over the years, sitting in the car whining about being bored on seemingly endless trips to Civil War battlefield sites.  Perhaps if my parents had given me a camera when I was five, I would have better tolerated those outings.

Today was also the day of our first frost, and on the way there this morning, I drove past barns and mountains and beautiful scenery.  The drive alone was a real treat.

I met the group leader, Linda, and about 10 other walkers in front of the Antietam National Cemetery, which  anchors one end of town.  A chill was in the air, but the day was crisp and clear without a cloud in the sky.

First we walked through the cemetery, then we took a group picture, and next we walked down the street into the town.  There happened to be a marathon running through town today, so orange cones blocked parts of the street and state troopers were directing traffic.


Our group quickly dissipated, so that each of us could work at our own pace, and we all agreed to meet at the Red Byrd Restaurant at 11:30.

I walked up one side of the main street and back down the other.  Homes that were present during the time of the battle had markers designating them as Antietam homes.  Many yards were decorated for Halloween.

For this walk today, I took two cameras with me.  Of course, I had my Nikon P7100, but I also took my big DSLR, my Nikon D300.  I find that I can get so much better shallow depth of field photos with that camera.

It was a great morning, and I am definitely going back to Antietam again.  There is so much to see, and even the journey to get there is enjoyable.



Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment