Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day 58 - The Day After Sandy


Thankfully, everyone in my family and seemingly in the immediate area made out fine after a night of wind and rain.

I've been watching the news of all the damage up and down the East Coast and getting lots of FB updates from friends in Ocean City, MD.  Lots of damage there, but thankfully everyone seems fine.

I heeded the warnings on TV to stay off the roads today to allow those who NEED to get to work or to assist in the recovery efforts to have less traffic on the roads.  So I walked in a light rain around the neighborhood again.

Lots of leaves were down, and I even found a tree that had snapped, but other than that, things look good.

I have given some thought to a "photo walk in the rain" protocol, since before I started this effort, even a few drops would have sent me back inside.  So, here is what I have determined.

1. Do not walk in the rain if it is unsafe to do so.  Obviously, hurricanes and thunderstorms are topping the list of unsafe conditions.  Flooding would be another issue to consider.  Stay safe above all.
2. Invest in good rain gear.  I have Columbia Omni-Tech rain pants and a rain jacket and Bogs rubber boots.  They do not sponsor me (I wish -- hint, hint); they are just what I have found works.
3. Protect your camera.  If it is small like mine, it will zip under your jacket.  If it is big, use a plastic ziplock with a hole cut for the lens or buy a plastic rain sleeve made for big cameras.
4. Your hands and your face are most likely to get the wettest, so tuck a dry washcloth in your pocket to dry off hands, glasses, cell phone screens, etc.  Dry tissues in your pocket are probably a good idea, too.
5. If you have driven somewhere to take your walk, you are going to want to strip off all the wet stuff before getting back into the car, so plan ahead.  Pack regular shoes and a spare jacket (if the temps warrant) so you can change into them before driving.  Consider packing a trash bag to stuff all your wet things into.
6. Get creative with your rain shots.  Look for shots you could not take if it was dry:  gushing drain spouts; people huddled under umbrellas; rain streaked windows.
7. Have fun!  After all, you chose to do a photo walk in the rain, so make the most of it.

Today's cold walk - 37 degrees - got me thinking ahead to my upcoming photo walks in the snow.  I'll be doing an inventory of my cold weather gear to make sure I am prepared for that.  Those who know me know that I already have plenty of scarves, but I might want to get busy knitting some hats with ear flaps!

Click on any photo to enlarge it.
*************************************************
Visit my web site: camscamerashots.zenfolio.com

Cam's rules for the Daily Photo Walk:
  1. walk every day
  2. the walk must be in addition to any other planned activity for the day
  3. post a photo every day
  4. use my Nikon P7100 (it is a very convenient size and weight)
  5. no weather excuses
  6. walk only where it is safe to do so

No comments:

Post a Comment